A rare sunny day had us running outside for Day 2’s sprint. (See Day 1 here.)
I have a purple clematis I’d like to grow up around the door. That section of the garden is “the purple section,” because our romantic and creative WWOOFers, Kelly and Mike, chose the accent colours. (I gave them free reign on that decision. They may have chosen the colours because of their names: silvery-white Wishing Star and purple Georgian Court.)
In the photo on the right, you can see where Rob cut out rot and replaced it with a triangle of solid wood.
For the design, I went to the internet, and found an elegant brace shape that did not seem to overwhelm the shed. We discussed the actual dimensions, and Rob made a template. He cut the shapes with a jigsaw.
We had most of a quart of gummy acrylic paint left, which was enough to paint all the pieces.
The chronology of the pergola construction:
2. The knee braces were screwed into the 2x4s.
3. Rob had drilled the holes on an angle into the braces, using a Kreg jig (gotta get me one of those!) (Oh, and the Kreg jig is not a dance.) Very cool plugs sold for Kreg hole-filling were glued into the holes, and touched up with paint.
4. A backer board is toe-nailed onto the braces.
5. Two rafters, the ends cut with the same shape as the brace, are toe-nailed into the braces. 1.5″x2″ sticks nailed at 8″ intervals onto the rafters.
6. The finished pergola
(The little wooden structure attached to the wall is a mason bee condo. It already has tenants.)
There are lots of imperfections in the wood, but I have convinced myself that it looks charming, and will be even more picturesque with the vines growing over it. Cost of the project materials = ZERO!