203) Patio Pinally Pinished

by Gail on October 23, 2013

patioThe addition of the roof “rafters” and lattice has added a real graphic dimension to the patio, especially when the sun is shining.

I’ll let the photos tell the story, which includes the reason that I’m so glad we didn’t attempt to build the patio structure ourselves. (Hint: see Peter scrambling around the rafters like a monkey? I think Jonas and Peter dropped their drills a total of 7 times while I was there, and the circular saw once. On the last “drop,” Jonas’s brand new drill broke. Tricky work.)patio rafters

rafter patterns

patio built-in furniture

While the permanent structures are finally finished, we  I have yet to build a table and some other portable patio furniture to make the patio work like a patio. There will be two other posts about the pizza oven and  hardscape around the patio and vegetation.patio from garden

patio

From above:

patio from top

patio bench

The view FROM the patio, on a foggy day:

foggy view from the bench

The cupboards:

cupboard shelves

Here’s a foggy view:

patio finished

It’s been a long slog that I thought might take about 2 weeks to complete, with paid professional and volunteer (WWOOFer) help!bolted knee braces

You might be interested in the costs to build? (FYI,the patio itself is about 200 square feet.) Not including volunteer labour, the total cost was $16,065, broken down as follows:

Materials – 4191  Labour – 8581 Pizza Oven – 735 (materials only) Concrete (including pumper truck) – 2558

For the progress of the patio construction over the past 3.5 months, see these posts: Patio Preliminaries, Patio Progress, Patio Pour, Patio Posts, Patio PierresPatio Purniture.

Sharing this not-so-wordy post with:

StoneGable, The Brambleberry Cottage, The Vintage Farmhouse, Common Ground, The Charm of Home, Coastal Charm, Savvy Southern Style

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Joy October 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I see the hammock is in place. Looks like the pizza oven has been used a bit too. Love the sunshine view as well as the foggy views. Wonderful composition Gail. A great addition to your home. Huge job with many stages. Congratulations to you and all your helpers (I remember that wrinkled fingers picture D).
Joy

Pizza Man October 25, 2013 at 5:31 pm

It’s deceptive: the oven is being “cured”; a series of relatively small fires are built daily for about a week, to drive the moisture out of the structure and avoid cracking from steam that too-quick and too-hot firing would cause. AND: it needs a door yet.

tess October 23, 2013 at 10:31 pm

3.5 months total? Not bad… How many months of enjoyment is it going to provide? Hundreds.
-t

Julie @ Creating This Life October 24, 2013 at 9:01 am

I love that roof. We’re in the middle of having a new patio put in, and I really wanted a trellis/roof over the top, but our patio is mostly shade so I just couldn’t justify the cost. And your view is so lovely.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky October 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm

We just did a new patio, deck and pond. Come on over…I also posted it at Stone Gable. Your patio is gorgeous and so are the surroundings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annemarie October 25, 2013 at 9:38 am

Gail this looks incredible!! You are going to get great use out of that area.

Pizza Man October 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm

What Gail has not really mentioned is that the patio is, basically, reclaimed land; it’s in a spot that most wouldn’t have valued, but Gail realized that the embankment offerred real privacy (you can hardly see the patio from the road) and it actually had one of the best views outside the house.

Julie B October 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Wow…this is absolutely stunning Gail!! When is my invitation arriving? Great call with the outdoor pizza oven.

Gail October 28, 2013 at 4:31 pm

You have a standing invitation – you know that! (You, and all your relatives.)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life October 30, 2013 at 10:57 am

Oh my word, this is gorgeous. What a dream. I love it. Don’t forget you can still link up to my Inspire Me Tuesday party at http://www.astrollthrulife.net. Hugs, Marty