188) New Bathtub From Old

by Gail on January 4, 2013

Way back in 2010, I wrote a post about refinishing my bathtub, but I don’t think I’ve yet shown the tub in its forever home.

(As an aside, all my posts on this blog and on its daughter blog, This Green Life, are indexed (see tab at top). If I or anyone wants to easily find a past post, we can just go to the index of posts.)

Yesterday, our daughter said there were two unusual things about her mother, that she didn’t think were unusual when she was growing up. One was that I am addicted to tea, and (unsavory as it sounds) drink it from a thermos all day long. The other is that I never shower. (Eeewwww!)

But, I do love to bathe!

And, the old-style clawfoot tub is absolutely the most comfortable kind.

Fortunately, I sourced an old beauty on craigslist.

The seller graciously included all his grandma’s original brass bathroom accessories and racks.

The tub was in such fabulous shape on the inside that I didn’t need to have it re-enameled. The outside was another story: (Eeewwww!)

I found an inspiration photo in a magazine (on the left, below), and set to work spray-painting the tub in two different browns:

Add modern plumbing fixtures (deeply discounted because they’re brass, and brass is not “on trend” these days – I have to face the fact that I, and this whole green house, are not very fashionable. That’s part of the philosophy of building green: we chose enduring, classic finishes that will never go out of style, thus not requiring updating as the trends evolve.)

The ceramic tile floor was an interesting job. I installed under-floor heat (a guilty not-so-green pleasure for the coldest days only.)

Some dark evenings, alone on the building site with a work-light shining on my work, I removed all 2200 of the white 1″ centre tiles and replaced them with mocha-brown ones. (OCD much, Gail?)

To complete the traditional look: wainscotting, Belgian curtains,

classic linen cupboards, old brass light fixtures, a big old mirror,

cottage-style tongue-and-groove ceiling: bath ceiling

And, to enter my little retreat, a lovely old refinished fir door from a math building at a local university.

I’m sharing with these link parties:

Funky Junk Interiors’ Saturday Night Special, Mockingbird Hill Cottage’s A Favorite Thing, DebbieDoo’s Pinterest Party and Newbie with a Twist, Little Red House’s Mosaic Monday, Alderberry Hill’s Make the Scene Monday, Boogieboard Cottage’s Masterpiece Monday, Coastal Charm’s Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Thrifty Decor Chick’s Before & After, Cedarhill Ranch’s Cowgirl Up, Creative Cain Cabin (FEATURED!), Knick of Time Tuesday, Cozy Little House’s Tweak-it Tuesday, Not Just a Housewife, Savvy Southern Style’s Wow Us Wednesday (FEATURED!), Rose Chintz Cottage’s Home., Green Eggs & Goats, I Gotta Create, From My Front Porch to Yours’ Treasure Hunt Thursday, Apron Thrift Girl’s Thrift Share Monday, The Dedicated House

{ 43 comments… read them below or add one }

Joy January 4, 2013 at 8:52 pm

The tub (with your layers of brown) is great but getting original brass bathroom accessories was a lovely bonus. I love this post of your amazing bathroom.
Joy

Rebecca January 5, 2013 at 3:48 am

Hard to find a favorite photo to “pin” on this gorgeous bathroom. Found you Debbie Doo’s Pin Party! So happy to be here! Pinning now. XOXO! Rebecca

Diane January 5, 2013 at 6:33 am

How great!! You can hardly turn around in my tiny bathroom!

Lisa Lynn January 5, 2013 at 8:44 am

I love this! Found you on A Favorite Thing :)

I would love to have you share this on The HomeAcre Hop at:

I would love to have green posts like this every week :)

Gail January 5, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Thank you! I have linked to your link party, and I’m delighted to hear of a party that speaks the sustainable language. I had already bookmarked your blog, as being one of the few on a similar topic as mine.

Claudia January 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I cannot begin to express how much I love your bathroom! My goodness, is it gorgeous. You did a wonderful job of creating your retreat – the bathtub and fixtures are beautiful and all that storage!!! Oh my.

Thanks so much for joining in this week!

xo
Claudia

Gail January 5, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Thank you, Claudia. And, thank you for hosting your gracious link party.
Gail

Balisha January 5, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I love this tub. I miss my old clawfoot tub from long ago. There’s nothing like them for a nice deep bath.
Balisha

GardenOfDaisies January 5, 2013 at 1:30 pm

What a wonderful tub and bathroom redo! And the view out your window is pretty spectacular, too.

Sally January 5, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Oh! Your bathroom is exquisite, so very lovely and charming! Enjoy!

Vee January 6, 2013 at 11:26 am

Love the look! What a delightful, restful experience it must be to bathe in that wonderful tub in that wonderful room with that wonderful view.

Valerie January 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm

A claw foot deep tub is the only way to take a bath in my opinion. You can get all the way in and not half in and half out. Good job. Valerie

Lorrie January 6, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I love the look, brass fittings or not. Classic will never go out of style although fashions and trends may come and go.

A Garden of Threads January 6, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Beautiful bathroom!! I am with you, baths are the way to go.

Eileen January 6, 2013 at 2:21 pm

What a lovely makeover! Your bathroom and bathtub is beautiful. Well done! Wishing you a great week ahead.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) January 6, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Fabulous do-it-yourself pix and how-tos. We’ve done lots of remodeling over the years and plan more, so it’s fun to look at other’s projects.

And gosh so you never take a shower? I never take a bath!

Pamela Gordon January 6, 2013 at 7:20 pm

What a gorgeous bathroom. I love your tub and the wonderful brass fixtures you acquired with it. That’s pretty cool I think. The floor is amazing. We have infloor heating under our ceramic bathroom floor and also the kitchen floor. We have the heating on programmable thermostats so they are only on at peak use times. The rest of the time they are cold! I love the heat under foot!

Tina January 7, 2013 at 6:58 am

What a beautiful bathroom! I love what you did to the tub and the touch of mocha tile to the flooring.

Visiting from the Newbie Party.

Jamie January 7, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I love this tub! I’m in BC too ;) And a new follower of yours!

Carol January 7, 2013 at 8:37 pm

That turned out beautifully! I love the romantic look of the entire space.

kim January 8, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Love your bathroom and tub. Great old brass fixtures and love the floor and that door. Well, I love it all. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living January 8, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Gorgeous bathroom! I have a couple claw foot tubs and just love them!

Tammy January 8, 2013 at 5:36 pm

This is fabulous!

Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage January 8, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Love that you saved that beauty! I had an old claw foot left in my house – but it was beyond disgusting so it’s now sitting in my garage (couldn’t bear to see it scrapped)! I had thoughts about putting it in my garden! Your view and vintage details are fabulous too!
Kelly

diane @ okcamp January 9, 2013 at 4:00 am

Wow! Great job. What a prize to get the fixtures too. Nothing holds hot water better than a big ole’ cast iron tub. Want one!

Donna Allgaier-Lamberti January 9, 2013 at 6:30 am

I popped on over from Nik of Time. What an amazing room… I’d never want to come out! We live in Michigan and I’ve always dreamed of heated floors…. love what you doing your green home!

Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com

Nancy January 9, 2013 at 9:17 am

What a beautiful bathroom! I love the tub, what a terrific find! Great job redoing it too!
Nancy

Heather Jackson January 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Beautiful! I love it! Thanks for linking up at http://www.greeneggsandgoats.com!

Sandi January 9, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Wow! What a great job you made of the tub! And I LOVE your green bottle collection! The woodwork is lovely too. I bet you have such a wonderful sense of accomplishment having finished the bathroom. Thanks for sharing this at my HOME and Happy New Year!

Blessings,
Sandi

Jeanette @ Creating a Life January 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hello, visiting you from Debbiedoo’s. Your bathroom is SO pretty! Pinning a few :)

Jeanette @ Creating a Life

Always Nesting January 10, 2013 at 6:46 am

Wow, gorgeous, just gorgeous. Hopping over from Pam’s party.

Anu@MyDreamCanvas January 10, 2013 at 9:46 pm

What a beautiful bathroom. I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas.

Dawn January 11, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Love the tub, our house is also green. Thanks for linking up at the Cabin:)

Gail January 11, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Yes, Dawn, I have started reading your blog regularly. There aren’t many blogs with the green focus. Great job on yours, and thanks for hosting your parties.

Cathy@My1929Charmer January 15, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Stopping by from Kim’s, your bathroom is so charming! Love everything about it, especially the tub! We will soon be starting our bathroom remodel and want a claw foot tub. Love the color too.

Meg January 15, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I love this bathroom and every little brass touch. I would love that toilet paper cover. Amazing work fellow Canadian!

Pamela January 15, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Now that is a tub after my own heart! Thanx for sharing at THT.

Patty Soriano January 16, 2013 at 6:46 am

Wow. AWE-and-SOME! Love every part of your wonderful bathroom. The door is a GREAT find. Lusting for the tub, fixtures, wooden trunk, built-in cabinets. Oh, my. You’ve done a wonderful job of greening it up! I came over to see you from Savvy Southern Style. Looking forward to seeing more of your cozy home. Thank you for sharing !

Gail January 16, 2013 at 7:28 am

Thank you, all, for your kind compliments.
Gail

nancyworegreenstockings January 17, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I adore all the old brass accessories he kindly included. Especially that divine little toilet paper dispenser. So fab.

Cindy January 17, 2013 at 6:24 pm

We just finished our guest bath remodel, so glad it is finished
Your bath is amazing! From the tub, to your window treatment…perfect!
Blessings,
Cindy

Cathy February 3, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Nicely done!

Jana February 5, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Oh my, beautiful bath room! I had to laugh reading about you cutting 2200 of the little tiles out and replacing them with the brown. OCD is what came to my mind~ lol. But, seeing the flooring in looks amazing.
Thrilled I found your blog tonight, I’m sure I’ll be looking at all your past post. Very intriguing, the post that I’ve read so far.