135) Front Entry – First Impressions

by Gail on August 17, 2011

Today I took the protective plastic off the front door windows. (not easy – it’s been there for about 18 months.) During the task, I was thinking that removing and disposing/recycling of all the wrapping and stickers on new goods was yet another reason to buy used. Updates to the BC Building Code, however, require that Low-E, argon-filled windows be installed on our new home. So all the  windows, even on a door, need to be new.

After all the exterior machine work and stone-cutting, the door was filthy, so I cleaned it. I gave it another coat of water-based Varathane.

Two applications of sealer were applied to the flagstones on the doorstep. I found a sealer and enhancer at the building supply store that was $90 for a quart. I brought it home, but just choked on the price, so I  returned it to the store without satisfying my curiosity about its enhanced look. Instead, I used the same Broda Clarity that I’ve used on all the concrete and stone. See the before and after photos on this post.

Now that the windows are transparent, I feel exposed. I’m sure I’ll get used to it. After all, the entry as a whole speaks “Welcome,” I hope.

p.s. then I walked right out that door and picked my first bucket of blackberries for the season. Blackberry ice cream, anyone?

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Joy August 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm

You can see in and through the dining room window!

You could make a leaf/confetti quilt (like your cottage quilt except only the leaves) as an inside curtain for the winter.

Very welcoming.

Gail August 17, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Joy, that’s the reflection of the blackberry bushes in those shiny clean windows, not a view out the dining room window!

Joy August 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Yummy. Freeze some if you have extras.

Gail August 28, 2011 at 7:05 am

Rachel Ross November 12, 2011 at 10:05 am

I love the stonework in your entryway…beautiful colours and shapes! Is it local to gibsons? We’re working on our entryway right now…and it is an important “significant” threshold into the space….worthy of extra care and clarity and polishing (and, I can see why you’d take the $90 qt. back to the hardware store!) Broda is an excellent product…we used it for the stain on our siding and we used “Lifetime” for the trim…have you tried that yet? ~ Rachel

Gail November 12, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Rachel, I haven’t tried Lifetime yet – what’s special about that?
Interestingly, I think, the stone on our fireplace and pillars comes from the Kootenays (Rhyolite random). The only kind of stone indigenous to the Sunshine Coast is Granite, and it’s too hard for me to cut. It has a lot of colour variation, but I prefer the Rhyolite for its warm tones.
The flagstone/slate is not local (I can’t remember where it comes from – it’s called Aberdeen flats, and I bought it at Adera stone.)