As I mentioned in this post, we’re working up to twenty beds in This Green House. The studio has already been used as an add-on bedroom (see this post: Make Your Own Bed) but we wanted something more comfortable and permanent.
After Rob the carpenter was here doing our “Sprint to the Finish,” I sent him back to his workshop with a detailed set of plans and the Lee Valley hardware for a Murphy Bed.
A short time later, Rob came back with all the components, and assembled them here. He was able to use our 80-year-old fir slats (salvaged from an old industrial building currently in use as a film studio) for the mattress support.
After assembly, we took it apart so that I could paint it white.
D and Tess and I reassembled the carcass and bed. (Some profanity ensued – it was challenging, to say the least.)
I shopped my studio for some fabric to cover the backrest and the ceiling of the carcass, and thought this stiff tie-dyed cotton that Tess brought back from Burkina Faso would be perfect.
After a bunch of cutting, sewing, gluing, and tacking, I got this look:
I stuck one of my quilts on the back wall, so you only see it when the bed is opened. I think it’s kind-of a nice little secret.
And, when it’s closed, the bed only sticks out from the wall 16 inches.
I hope to make a bench to attach to the front, and will add a photo if that happens!
Sharing with: Savvy Southern Style , DIY By Design, Ivy and Elephants, Turquoise Home, Brambleberry Cottage, The Charm of Home, Miss Mustard Seed, The Dedicated House